In organizations representing the continuum of care, there can be significant challenges coordinating care as patients are transitioning between various care settings.
By having access to hospital and provider data, post-acute care facilities (long-term care and skilled nursing facilities) are able to have a clearer picture about a patient’s clinical history.
HealthShare Exchange (HSX) currently has 50 participating post-acute care facilities.
Encounter Notification Service (ENS) – For Post-Acute Care Facilities
- Once an organization supplies Admit, Discharge, Transfer (ADT) feeds to HSX, HSX can automatically subscribe discharged patients from the facility for a period of time.
- ENS auto-subscription then can provide notifications back to the participating HSX-Member organization about these discharged patients who are subsequently admitted within a defined timeframe (e.g. 90 days) to other HSX-Member emergency departments and hospitals, which can be valuable for care coordination and bundled payment programs.
Clinical Data Repository
- Collects and retains medical-records data about patients, permitting a patient’s provider and/or care-team members to query for clinical information about the patient.
- Post-acute care facilities have the opportunity to access the CDR through the HSX query portal or through EHR integration.
- Clinical Data Repository (CDR) Overview
Direct Secure Messaging
Utilizing the national Direct Project standards, HSX helps members send and receive confidential patient health information by Direct Secure Messaging. This service transmits secure, electronic messaging between providers directly into their Electronic Health Record (EHR). If an organization’s EHR cannot support direct, HSX can provide a secure portal for organizations to use. Webmail, a web-based platform, allows providers to receive any type of clinical information including but not limited to Continuity of Care Documents, Encounter Notification Service or Referrals.
Our Provider Directory (PD) contains over 15,000 direct addresses for clinical providers who actively participate with HSX. Members can utilize our directory to send secure messages regarding patients including Continuity of Care (CCD) Documents to other providers on the patient’s care team. Through our PD, members can securely communicate beyond their organization with other HSX member-based providers and participants regarding patient care.
Automated Care Team Finder (ACTF)
In an effort to support patient Transition of Care visits, HSX routes CCDs containing important discharge information to a patient’s Primary Care Provider. The service identifies patients through their healthcare insurance identification to quickly determine providers involved in medical care and automatically deliver pertinent clinical information through direct secure messaging.
Clinical Activity History (CAH)
HSX integrates with patient insurance providers to receive recent claims history. The patient’s insurance claims data is compiled into a Continuity of Care Document and is sent to requesting healthcare providers. Healthcare providers can access centralized clinical information through our Clinical Data Repository or in their Electronic Health Record via Direct Secure Messaging.