In organizations representing the continuum of care, there can be significant challenges coordinating care as patients are transitioning between various care settings.
By having access to hospital and provider data, post-acute care facilities (long-term care and skilled nursing facilities) are able to have a clearer picture about a patient’s clinical history.
HealthShare Exchange (HSX) currently has 50 participating post-acute care facilities.
Encounter Notification Service (ENS) – For Post-Acute Care Facilities
- Once an organization supplies Admit, Discharge, Transfer (ADT) feeds to HSX, HSX can automatically subscribe discharged patients from the facility for a period of time.
- ENS auto-subscription then can provide notifications back to the participating HSX-Member organization about these discharged patients who are subsequently admitted within a defined timeframe (e.g. 90 days) to other HSX-Member emergency departments and hospitals, which can be valuable for care coordination and bundled payment programs.
Clinical Data Repository
- Collects and retains medical-records data about patients, permitting a patient’s provider and/or care-team members to query for clinical information about the patient.
- Post-acute care facilities have the opportunity to access the CDR through the HSX query portal or through EHR integration.
- Clinical Data Repository (CDR) Overview
Direct Secure Messaging (DIRECT)/ Provider Directory (PD)
- Point-to-point exchange of clinical information between providers’ direct addresses using the national Direct Project standards — included, but not limited to, sending of continuity of care (C-CDA) documents with discharge information and referrals for transitions of care. HSX can offer direct addresses to providers and facilities, as needed.
- The HSX PD contains more than 10,000 direct addresses for healthcare providers who actively participate with HSX for direct messaging; interoperability testing is completed before providers’ direct addresses are added to the PD to ensure employed providers within hospitals and health systems can engage with Direct in a meaningful way.
Automated Care Team Finder (ACTF)
- Uses the patient’s member identification with his or her healthcare insurer to identify the patient’s primary care provider and route continuity of care (C-CDA) documents, containing discharge information, leveraging the HSX PD.
- Post-acute care facilities that are able to generate ADT feeds and want to automatically route information to patient’s external care providers are eligible to participate with this service.
Clinical Activity History (CAH)
- Collects recent clinical history about a patient from the patient’s healthcare insurer, based on the patient’s member identification within the health plan and translates this claims/utilization data to a clinical care document — returning this information to the requesting provider organization.
- Admission, discharge, transfer (ADT) feeds trigger the clinical activity history documents to be delivered to the requestor.
- Download our Clinical Activity History Overview